Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Jan, 29 2011

Decided that blogging every week was to much.  So to catch up a little it has been a winter wonderland in Russia.  I do not think it has been as cold as usual but cold enough.  We very seldom get above about 14 degrees.  We have a few days where we get in the low 20's but not very many.
I had been bugging Gene for a new rug for the living room.  We went to Ikea to just look at them and they had one on sale for $35.00.  I t was a nice rug that would fit right in front of the love seat and couch. Most of the rugs we had looked at were over $100.00.  So this was a great sale and for sure would be gone if we waited till we could get a driver. So he bought it and carried it home on the bus and then for 1/2 hr walk in the cold and on slippery sidewalks and in the dark.  It just made the apt feel like ours.  We arranged the furniture a little different and we both like it so much better.
 We have a new office Elder.  Elder Jenkins.  So we now have him and Elder Lex and they are great.  But Elder Lex says Elder Gronning has a problem because he has no hair he cannot see and he cannot hear.  Elder Gronning had asked for that.  They tease each other back and forth most of the day.
I am posting a lot of winter pictures because I think the trees are so pretty right now. 
We have also enjoyed a couple of weeks of getting trainned on the new simplified trainning.  President Sorenson has been trainning us and we have enjoyed it very much.
Our favorite thing this week was the ballet Swan Lake.  The West mission was having a senior conference and they were all going to it Monday night.  One of the couples could not make it so Pres. Wooley came to me and said.  Sister Gronning can I bribe you? Of course I said it depends.  Then he said will you take these tickets and go to Swan Lake with us tonight?  Well we felt we had to take them, but we were in charge of senior night the next night and I had planned to bake cookies and do a few things.  We tried to think of a number of excuses to get out of going, but just felt like we had to go.  They had spent good money on the tickets and were happy to have us come.  So we went.  Of course we got lost but Pres. Wooley found us and got us to the theatre.  The ballet and the music were fabulous.  We were so glad we went.  We just loved it.  It was 3 hrs long..so long and we got home about 11:30pm and then I baked cookies and we went to bed at 1am.  But so worth it.  We have gone on youtube and played the music a hundred times since.
Then I had a moscow mission miracle.  I lost my journal at the Christmas party.  I had written down so many of my thoughts from the 1st day we went to the MTC.  I had asked the AP's to look for it because our party was in their building but they could not find it.  I was so sad.  Then the thought came to me to see which senior couple was in that building.  It was the Overly's.  So I asked Sister Overly to look for it and she said you bet I will.  And she did and she found it on the coat rack.  What a miracle. So all of you remember that we can all have miracles in our lives.  I have been writing mine down here in Russia so that I will not forget them.
And last week our favorite thing was receiving a package from Idaho.  Full of love.  Pictures, popcorn, honey, valentine candy which I am saving to share with the office on Valentines day.(I do not even know if they have that holiday here.)  Brown sugar. Our children are the best and they do so much for us while we are serving here in Russia.  We love and miss them sooooooo much.
We send our love to all..Gene and Marcia
Big strong Gene
Not sure how happy he is.  But he had a right to be tired.
Lots of winter pictures. These next few are on the way to our
branch in Zelenograd.  Little forest along the side of the road.
Ice skating next to our branch bldg.  Where Elder Nielson broke his ankle.
Sunday dinner
Swan Lake theatre
Special package from Idaho
How cute are they?  Courtnee, Callie and Sadie
Box filled with love
Seniors at simplified training night
Children in snow,  They all look like Randy from the Christmas Story.
We took a walk in our little forest behind our apt.  Their are bird feeders
everywhere.  Look at the bird eating in this one.
Yes it is winter in Russia
Nice and warm in his new coat
Winter pictures of our forest
Children sleigh riding on the hill down onto a frozen lake
Lost and found journal

1 comment:

Thorell Guitars Blog said...

Your pictures were fun to see! It is amazing that a $35 rug could make you that happy. I'm glad you found your diary. I'm sure there are many wonderful memories in that little notebook. Thanks for all you are doing. You really are great examples to us. Ken Thorell